Thursday 18 December 2014

Using The Automatic Function


Anyone who knows me, knows I love photography.  I've loved it for years, and it fits perfectly with another hobby of mine, scrapbooking.   For years I used the “automatic” function on my camera until this last year, learning different settings outside the box.  I’m still learning and have disasters, but luckily we’re in the digital age, and I can simply delete them.

It’s been the same in my spiritual walk.  I’ve been a Christian for many years, functioning on automatic.  Using my head knowledge, patterns and paths, that end up with me being frustrated, wondering why it seems so difficult to have that peace, that knowledge that Christ is in control, and really when you get down to it, wanting to knowing the will of God in my life.   That’s because I've been functioning in automatic.  I know all these things in my head and believe them al, but God knows, that with patterns and principles comes automation.   Automatic responses, automatic prayers, relying on human wisdom,   all things we can do without really having that deep relationship we desire.   God will not allow us to run on automatic.  He likes to mix it up, keep us on our toes, and keep us from running on our own steam.   Teaching us all the while to lean, trust, believe, worship, and rely – on Him only.

My reward?  Freedom.  Yes, the freedom from worrying, not knowing His will, stressing about the future, the past or the present.  I’ve learned freedom.    Imagine asking God to know His will in any circumstance.  Imagine, still not knowing for sure what His will is despite prayer and reflection.  Then imagine the reality of this.  Does it really matter?  I’m not being flippant.  Knowing that His will is always best - does it really matter if we know it up front?  If God is in control, does the result matter?  He has promised to COMPLETE the good work He started in us.  (Jeremiah 29:11).  Does that mean we shouldn’t pursue His will, stop doing His good works, and just go with the flow?   No.  He just wants us to pursue His Presence.   In all we do.  In all we say, in ALL that comes and goes in our lives.

Does it mean I never worry or become obsessed?  No.  But I’m glad we’re in the digital age.  Just like the many photos that I’ve deleted, true repentance and trust bring forth forgiveness and my sins are deleted.

Chris Tiegreen says, “Take pleasure in God’s variety.  Use it as an opportunity to pull away from the automatic setting, and the practicing of religion, and use His variety, to draw close to Him”.

In this Christmas season it’s easy to get caught up in automatic mode.  To get lost in the traffic,  and rely on our own steam.   Turn your dial to manual.  Learn to listen for His voice. Learn to trust when you don’t hear it, and immerse yourself so deeply  into His presence, that when His Presence moves, you do too.

Shalom
Blessings, from our house to yours.








1 comment:

  1. Amen Ruth...those that are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God, I like what you wrote, "pulling away from the...practicing of religion...learn to listen for His voice." He did say, my sheep here my voice, His word is true and He talks to us in ways WE can hear Him. Thanks for sharing. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete