Thursday 13 February 2014

The Fine Print

How many of us really read the fine print, or "agree to the terms" before downloading a program?  I know I'm guilty of this.  The other day, just because I thought it might be wise, I decided to read the agreement before downloading this particular app. Once I read what they wanted access to, I not only did NOT download the app, I proceeded to delete my history, empty my cache and cookies and then shut down my tablet!  I was appalled and just a little unnerved!

How many times had I so carelessly given people access to my private information?
Or what about the pages and pages of fineprint that come with a credit card or a loan?   Honestly now, do you REALLY read it all?  I know I've skimmed it, (only because the loans officer had gone over it all already - or had she?) and I didn't want to appear ignorant about such things.  

I had also recently read that employers will quite often use social media to "check out" potential employees.  I was curious about this so I just googled my name, and sure enough, a couple of Facebook comments I had made came up.  My name also came up with regards to a church I had joined and a scrapbook page that had been published years back.

I felt a little invaded to be honest.  I mean I hadn't even been on the internet when I joined this church.  Whose business was that?  And that was just a googling of my name.  No real searching or digging of any kind.

I know we're  supposed to be careful of what we post.  I mean that's just common sense right?  You would think so. But look at Facebook.   Just recently they had a little tool that was being shared along that you could click on and it would give you your Facebook year in review.  Exactly who was keeping these stats and for what purpose? Have you ever noticed that if you've clicked on something you've liked, you get a million of those types of ads on your page?  That's certainly not by accident.   How many status updates had I made without a thought about privacy issues?  I can't even count them.  Until now.

Well now maybe a little to late to read the fine print, but I'm still going to be careful.

You just never know who may be wanting to look you up.


No comments:

Post a Comment